Friday, August 17, 2007
Personal Update
This evening I would like to try to catch everyone up to speed on my life. I know that I have not been blogging much lately, and I hope this post will explain a little more fully why this is the case.

I am simply amazed at how fast this year has gone by. So much has happened, and there are still several months left! But the Lord has been gracious to me and my family, and we are thankful for his abundant provision and blessing.

My year began with a mission trip to Uganda. You can read my reflections about Uganda in an entry I wrote after my return. In many ways, my heart has remained in Uganda.

Nevertheless, I had one last semester to finish at seminary to graduate. My wife was also entering her third trimester of pregnancy with our fourth child. February to May breezed by, filled with activity and stress. By God's grace, we made it through this turbulent time. I technically received my M.Div. and my new daughter on the same day!

It was in the midst of all this busyness that my wife and I made a life changing decision. After much prayer and hearing wise counsel, we would serve Christ in Uganda. The need for biblical discernment and apologetics is so great in East Africa. Both of us have become deeply burdened for the body of Christ there.

However, if this was to become our future, much remained to work through after graduation. We needed to figure out the details about living and serving in Uganda. Then we had to develop a strategy to raise awareness and support. This process took longer than we expected—the months of June and July.

During this time, I also realized that my work situation would no longer fit our future plans. I didn't need the flexibility during the day to attend seminary; I now required free time on evenings and weekends to travel and speak about our ministry in Africa. Therefore, I found a new full-time IT job and dropped my two part-time jobs.

This brings us back to my blog. My new IT position does not have the down time for blogging that I used to have. Evenings are devoted to family and future mission preparation. With this in mind, I'm not sure what the future holds for The Reformed Baptist Thinker.

I do plan on continuing to post, but the frequency of my entries will likely be less and my focus will probably shift to more missions and international-related posts. I welcome any thoughts or questions that you have. Regardless, I hope this brief personal note helps you understand a little more fully the transition of my life and this blog.

Labels: ,

 
posted at 7:00 PM  
Comments (9)


9 Comments:
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Arthur Sido said...

John,

Given your other responsibilities, carrying out the Great Commission and caring for your family, no one will find fault if your blogging takes a back seat. May He richly reward your work on His behalf.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger kingofbleh said...

John -

Praise God that he has brought you to this apologetic ministry opportunity. I am in the throws of transition from a 12+ year IT career to seminary myself, so I can at least partially relate to the stress you are experiencing. May God richly bless you, wife and children as you sacrifice self in pursuit of His glory.

Galatians 6:9, my brother.

Lucas Defalco

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger John Divito said...

Arthur and Lucas,

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Worship Leader Ron said...

John,
I've enjoyed your blog for over a year and just recently realized that you, THE ONE AND ONLY BAPTIST BLOGGER, are my new IT Guy! I was excited! I work in the evenings. It's been great to read your thoughts and musings. Your posts on the "L" were great. If you need to kill the blog to follow the Lord, then let it die!
Thanks and welcome to our unique work environment!

Ron Kinzel

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Thad said...

John, we are so excited to hear how God is leading you and your family. We received your card, and will be praying for you.

I do have one last question for you before you exit blogdom. Can you recommend any credible (read non-sensational) books/articles that examine the ins and outs of Free Masonry?

Thanks again for the blessing you've been to all of us.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger John Divito said...

Hello,

A quick clarification, if I may. I didn't intend to suggest that I am shutting my blog down. I plan on continuing to post, but entries will be more occasional and shift in focus. With this in mind, please keep my blog bookmarked or my feed in your reader.

Thad,

Thank you for praying for us. I haven't read as much about freemasonry as I have other subjects, but check out NAMB's apologetics site. They have a section on Freemasonry. Additionally, you may want to read Masonic Rites and Wrongs: An Examination of Freemasonry by Steven Tsoukalas.

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Thad said...

Ah yes, I jumped too quickly to conclusions about your blog. I see that now, and I'm glad you're still posting.

I am having to wrestle with the Freemasonry issue, and some of what I've read has linked it to Mormonism, which is why I asked you.

Thank you so much for the links. Very helpful.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger John Divito said...

Thad,

I apologize for not thinking about the connection. For an introduction to the relationship between Mormonism and Freemasonry, check out Signature Books page dedicated to the topic.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger tc said...

Well, changes come in life and we must learn to adjust properly, to be more effective and efficient.

The focus on the family comes first, and a heart for missions is to be commended. God will work things out for you, my brother.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
John

I am a former Mormon who has been saved by Jesus Christ. Now I am a missionary involved with the Africa Center for Apologetics Research (ACFAR). I seek to live in light of Paul's words: "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21 ESV)

My Complete Profile


About My Blog
  • Why I am the Reformed Baptist Thinker

  • Recent Posts
  • ACFAR: Bringing Biblical Discernment to Africa

  • Ten Books that I'd Love to See

  • Moore on the Gospel, Culture and Evangelism

  • McLaren Continues Reading

  • For Whom Did Christ Die? Conclusion

  • Brian McLaren's Latest

  • Our Tenth Anniversary

  • Ed Stetzer Now (Consistently) Blogging

  • Lifting the Veil of Polygamy Video Online

  • For Whom Did Christ Die? IIIC-E Considering Objec...


  • Reformed Links
  • The 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
  • The Association of Reformed Baptist Churches in America
  • Discerning Reader
  • Founders Ministries
  • The Gospel Coalition
  • Monergism
  • Nicene Council
  • The Reformed Baptist Theological Review
  • Reformation 21
  • The Spurgeon Archive
  • Third Millennium Ministries
  • Together for the Gospel
  • John Frame and Vern Poythress
  • Sam Waldron

  • Apologetics Links
  • Mormonism Research Ministry
  • Truth in Love Ministry
  • Centers for Apologetics Research
  • LifeWay Apologetics
  • Alpha and Omega Ministries

  • Blogroll
  • The A-Team Blog
  • Illumination
  • Mormon Coffee
  • Pros Apologian
  • Pulpit Magazine
  • Pyromaniacs
  • Reformation 21 Blog
  • Reformed Baptist Fellowship
  • Said at Southern
  • Together for the Gospel Blog
  • Tom Ascol
  • Les Bollinger
  • Denny Burk
  • Tim Challies
  • Steve Cowan
  • Jeff Downs
  • Bob Kauflin
  • Kevin Larson
  • Albert Mohler Commentary
  • Albert Mohler Blog
  • Russell Moore
  • Jonathan Moorhead
  • Matt Perry
  • David Sills
  • Justin Taylor
  • Brent Thomas
  • Joe Thorn
  • Paul Tripp
  • Keith Walker

  • Labels
  • ACFAR
  • Apologetics
  • Book Reviews
  • Christianity and Culture
  • Emerging Church and Postmodernism
  • Missions
  • Mormonism
  • Puritans
  • Theology
  • "Weird Al" Yankovic
  • Personal Life
  • Personal Ministry
  • Other Resources

  • Miscellaneous


    Subscribe to Reformed Baptist Thinker




    Archives
  • December 2005

  • January 2006

  • February 2006

  • March 2006

  • April 2006

  • May 2006

  • June 2006

  • July 2006

  • August 2006

  • September 2006

  • October 2006

  • November 2006

  • December 2006

  • January 2007

  • February 2007

  • March 2007

  • April 2007

  • May 2007

  • June 2007

  • July 2007

  • August 2007

  • September 2007

  • October 2007

  • November 2007

  • December 2007

  • March 2008

  • Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Image from:
    istockphoto

    Meter: