Thursday, March 08, 2007
MacArthur: The Anti-Amillennialist
All I have to say is, "Wowsa!"

Last month, I posted a link to a short article by Sam Waldron on John MacArthur and his commitment to dispensational premillennialism. It seems as if MacArthur responded to critics like Waldron and others in the opening message of this year's shepherd's conference. Tim Challies posted a summary of his lecture here: "Shepherd's Conference (I)." I can only imagine how controversial this is going to get!

Jason Robertson over at the Fide-O blog has already begun responding: "The Mocked Shepherd." In any case, I appreciate the wise words of Kim Riddlebarger ("With All Due Respect to Dr. MacArthur . . ."):

All I can say is, "calm down." OK, MacArthur fired a shot across the bow. But until I've read the transcript of his talk, I won't respond to any specific points, other than to say, if (and that's a big "if") he's been accurately quoted, then it really is too bad that someone of his stature would say the ill-informed things that he did.

From what Tim Challies reports, I don't recognize my own position in MacArthur's critique. I am certainly self-respecting (to a fault), and I am a Calvinist, who is well known for my advocacy and defense of the Reformed faith. I am also amillennial and think dispensational premillennialism defaults at a number of points.

If you wish to be "fair and balanced" about these things, then I'd plead with you to first read Horton's God of Promise (Click here: Amazon.com: God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology: Books: Michael Horton), Hoekema's Bible and the Future (Click here: Amazon.com: The Bible and the Future: Books: Anthony A. Hoekema), and my A Case for Amillennialism (Click here: Amazon.com: A Case for Amillennialism: Understanding the End Times: Books: Kim Riddlebarger), and then see if MacArthur's arguments still hold water. It would be a shame if he gave such a talk and yet was not at all conversant with the major (Calvinistic) writers who set forth and defend the other side! Sounds like he is not.

More on this to come, I am sure!

I look forward to it! I also look forward to the response from Reformed Baptist stalwarts like Sam Waldron and Richard Barcellos over at the Illumination blog (see "Wise words from Riddlebarger on MacArthur’s message on Premillennialism").

Labels:

 
posted at 12:00 PM  
Comments (1)


1 Comments:
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Arthur Sido said...

I haven't listened to MacArthur yet but I did read the entry on Pulpit Magazine, and it certainly seemed strident and shrill. I will admit that I am still in the learning stages as far as eschatology goes (it takes a while to get past the fact that I don't get to become a god myself and have a harem of mormon wives!), but the arguments from dispensationalists certainly seem inferior to those put forth by covenant theology types. Again I am certainly no expert but I don't think MacArthur comported himself or dispensationalism very well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
John

I am a former Mormon who has been saved by Jesus Christ. Now I am a missionary involved with the Africa Center for Apologetics Research (ACFAR). I seek to live in light of Paul's words: "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21 ESV)

My Complete Profile


About My Blog
  • Why I am the Reformed Baptist Thinker

  • Recent Posts
  • Carson on Christianity and Culture . . . Coming So...

  • ABC News on Creciendo en Gracia

  • Ken Myers on Christianity and Culture

  • The Importance of Teaching in Missions

  • “The Reformation, Today’s Evangelicals, and Mormon...

  • More Revisions

  • Reformed Baptist Thinker 2.0

  • Mormonism in Africa

  • Barcellos Responds to New Covenant Theology

  • Living Stream Ministry and Local Churches: a Cult?...


  • Reformed Links
  • The 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
  • The Association of Reformed Baptist Churches in America
  • Discerning Reader
  • Founders Ministries
  • The Gospel Coalition
  • Monergism
  • Nicene Council
  • The Reformed Baptist Theological Review
  • Reformation 21
  • The Spurgeon Archive
  • Third Millennium Ministries
  • Together for the Gospel
  • John Frame and Vern Poythress
  • Sam Waldron

  • Apologetics Links
  • Mormonism Research Ministry
  • Truth in Love Ministry
  • Centers for Apologetics Research
  • LifeWay Apologetics
  • Alpha and Omega Ministries

  • Blogroll
  • The A-Team Blog
  • Illumination
  • Mormon Coffee
  • Pros Apologian
  • Pulpit Magazine
  • Pyromaniacs
  • Reformation 21 Blog
  • Reformed Baptist Fellowship
  • Said at Southern
  • Together for the Gospel Blog
  • Tom Ascol
  • Les Bollinger
  • Denny Burk
  • Tim Challies
  • Steve Cowan
  • Jeff Downs
  • Bob Kauflin
  • Kevin Larson
  • Albert Mohler Commentary
  • Albert Mohler Blog
  • Russell Moore
  • Jonathan Moorhead
  • Matt Perry
  • David Sills
  • Justin Taylor
  • Brent Thomas
  • Joe Thorn
  • Paul Tripp
  • Keith Walker

  • Labels
  • ACFAR
  • Apologetics
  • Book Reviews
  • Christianity and Culture
  • Emerging Church and Postmodernism
  • Missions
  • Mormonism
  • Puritans
  • Theology
  • "Weird Al" Yankovic
  • Personal Life
  • Personal Ministry
  • Other Resources

  • Miscellaneous


    Subscribe to Reformed Baptist Thinker




    Archives
  • December 2005

  • January 2006

  • February 2006

  • March 2006

  • April 2006

  • May 2006

  • June 2006

  • July 2006

  • August 2006

  • September 2006

  • October 2006

  • November 2006

  • December 2006

  • January 2007

  • February 2007

  • March 2007

  • April 2007

  • May 2007

  • June 2007

  • July 2007

  • August 2007

  • September 2007

  • October 2007

  • November 2007

  • December 2007

  • March 2008

  • Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Image from:
    istockphoto

    Meter: