Monday, November 27, 2006
Another Awesome Ministry Opportunity
Below is a letter that I sent out to my family and friends about another awesome ministry opportunity. I thought some of the readers of my blog would also be interested in reading it. As always, I welcome your thoughts and questions. Of course, my family also needs your prayers as I continue preparing!



Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Hello again! As you saw in my previous letter, the Lord recently blessed me by serving Him on a mission trip to Belize over the summer. I simply loved the privilege of teaching and preaching on biblical discernment and cults, especially in a place where the need for such ministry is so great.

Amazingly, He is providing another opportunity for service. The Centers for Apologetics Research (CFAR) has asked me to go to Uganda in East Africa from January 13-25. Currently they have no ministry in that part of Africa, but our Savior appears to be opening doors. Uganda even seems to present my family with the chance to serve there long-term after graduation. Could God be preparing my ministry there after I graduate from seminary in May?

In January I hope to find out. CFAR director Paul Carden and I are preparing to meet with Christian leaders to assess the potential for a regional base for countercult and discernment ministry. Additionally, we anticipate opportunities to teach and minister in churches and Bible colleges (and to visit the national headquarters of cults like the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses). Obviously, I'll also need to spend a lot of time in prayer, seeking to understand whether my family should move to Uganda and how we could transition to living in Africa.

But I can't leave you out of my plans. You are essential! My family desperately needs your prayers. This decision involves a life-changing commitment, one that we can't make lightly. What does the future hold for us? Only God knows. But we desire to faithfully serve Him and to do His will.

We also need to raise the necessary funds to cover my trip in January. While travel to Africa isn't inexpensive, a gracious donation of frequent-flier miles has kept my planned budget down to $1,500. Additionally, the generosity of those supporting my trip to Belize has led to $675 already being raised. But I still have $825 to raise in a little under two months. I realize the difficulties. Christmas is just around the corner. For those of us who are Southern Baptists, we are already planning on giving to international missions through our annual Lottie Moon offering. Honestly, I don't want you to sacrifice in either of these important events, yet I believe this opportunity is an important one. I'm trusting the Lord to bring people forward who will support me prayerfully and financially. May you be one of them?

The Apostle Peter instructs believers to "sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence" (1 Peter 3:15). My desire is to better equip Christians in Uganda to defend the gospel of Jesus Christ and boldly proclaim His truth to those who need to hear His good news there.

Because of His grace,
John Divito

P.S. If the Lord leads you to give, please send a check made payable to CFAR with the note "Uganda" on the memo line. (And if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.)

Labels: ,

 
posted at 1:00 PM  
Comments (3)


3 Comments:
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous a NY JW said...

You are more than welcome to visit the World Headquarters in Bklyn NY or other Branch Offices wherever your travels may take you...

However we are not a cult - we are encouraged to think and do independent research to strengthen our individual faith and beliefs. If an individual fails to do this then it's on them ;^)

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you truly are telling the truth about being encouraged to do your own research, then go to www.silentlambs.org and check out why they exist by reading their mission statement. Then....go tell your local elders about your findings of thousands of victims telling their stories as to abuse inside this worldwide organization. Let's see how your elders strengthen you then! We applaud you if you are brave enough follow through.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger John said...

NW JW,

Thank you for responding. Honestly, I don't care what label is used. Even you must admit that Jehovah's Witnesses disagree with the historic Christian faith on such essential matters as the nature of God (the Trinity) and the gospel (salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone). Since these truths are revealed by God in Scripture, Jehovah's Witnesses need to repent of their unbiblical beliefs and embrace God's truth. To read more, check out the Watchman Fellowship's page on Jehovah's Witnesses.

Anonymous,

I am not sure what you are asking, but I assure you that my church's leadership is against any kind of abuse in the name of religion. The answer is just as simple--it is the gospel of Jesus Christ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
John

I am a former Mormon who has been saved by Jesus Christ. Now I am a missionary involved with the Africa Center for Apologetics Research (ACFAR). I seek to live in light of Paul's words: "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21 ESV)

My Complete Profile


About My Blog
  • Why I am the Reformed Baptist Thinker

  • Recent Posts
  • Baptism Debate Now Available

  • Happy Thanksgiving!

  • As the Holiday Season Approaches

  • Stand to Reason, ETS, and the Emerging Church

  • Religion in History

  • Taking the Good News to Mormons

  • The Mission of the Church to Mormons

  • Eternal Security or Apostasy?

  • JibJab Meets Weird Al

  • Is Christianity True and Rational?


  • Reformed Links
  • The 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
  • The Association of Reformed Baptist Churches in America
  • Discerning Reader
  • Founders Ministries
  • The Gospel Coalition
  • Monergism
  • Nicene Council
  • The Reformed Baptist Theological Review
  • Reformation 21
  • The Spurgeon Archive
  • Third Millennium Ministries
  • Together for the Gospel
  • John Frame and Vern Poythress
  • Sam Waldron

  • Apologetics Links
  • Mormonism Research Ministry
  • Truth in Love Ministry
  • Centers for Apologetics Research
  • LifeWay Apologetics
  • Alpha and Omega Ministries

  • Blogroll
  • The A-Team Blog
  • Illumination
  • Mormon Coffee
  • Pros Apologian
  • Pulpit Magazine
  • Pyromaniacs
  • Reformation 21 Blog
  • Reformed Baptist Fellowship
  • Said at Southern
  • Together for the Gospel Blog
  • Tom Ascol
  • Les Bollinger
  • Denny Burk
  • Tim Challies
  • Steve Cowan
  • Jeff Downs
  • Bob Kauflin
  • Kevin Larson
  • Albert Mohler Commentary
  • Albert Mohler Blog
  • Russell Moore
  • Jonathan Moorhead
  • Matt Perry
  • David Sills
  • Justin Taylor
  • Brent Thomas
  • Joe Thorn
  • Paul Tripp
  • Keith Walker

  • Labels
  • ACFAR
  • Apologetics
  • Book Reviews
  • Christianity and Culture
  • Emerging Church and Postmodernism
  • Missions
  • Mormonism
  • Puritans
  • Theology
  • "Weird Al" Yankovic
  • Personal Life
  • Personal Ministry
  • Other Resources

  • Miscellaneous


    Subscribe to Reformed Baptist Thinker




    Archives
  • December 2005

  • January 2006

  • February 2006

  • March 2006

  • April 2006

  • May 2006

  • June 2006

  • July 2006

  • August 2006

  • September 2006

  • October 2006

  • November 2006

  • December 2006

  • January 2007

  • February 2007

  • March 2007

  • April 2007

  • May 2007

  • June 2007

  • July 2007

  • August 2007

  • September 2007

  • October 2007

  • November 2007

  • December 2007

  • March 2008

  • Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Image from:
    istockphoto

    Meter: