Thursday, September 28, 2006
Review: "Weird Al" Yankovic's "Straight Outta Lynwood"
This Tuesday, "Weird Al" Yankovic's latest CD was released. Of course, I purchased a copy of Straight Outta Lynwood the day it came out. At the same time, it has taken me a few days to digest it enough to be able to review it. What is my overall assessment? Buy It!!!

But for those that are looking for a more thorough review, the following are my thoughts on each song:

1) "White and Nerdy." A parody of "Ridin'" by Chamillionaire. Obviously, this song is Weird Al's popular single right now. What can I say? Weird Al can rap! And the worst part is that I can identify a little too much with his character. . . .

2) "Pancreas." An anatomical song in the style of traditional beach music, reminiscent of "Trigger Happy." It makes me want to learn more about my pancreas!

3) "Canadian Idiot." A parody of "American Idiot" by Green Day. Hey, who doesn't like poking fun at our neighbors to the north? It also reminds me of "Genius in France" which appropriately skewers our "enemies" over in Europe.

4) "I'll Sue Ya." In the rapcore style. Who knew Weird Al could substitute as the lead singer for Rage Against the Machine? Maybe its my metal past coming out, but this song is definitely one of my favorites on the album!

5) "Polkarama!" Every Weird Al album has to have a medley of contemporary hits redone in polka. This album is no different. Nevertheless, I do appreciate a rendition of the chicken dance to start the song.

6) "Virus Alert." I'm not sure how to classify this song, but I do enjoy it. Of course, I am a computer nerd, so its not easy to go wrong with a song on computer viruses.

7) "Confessions Part III." A parody of "Confessions Part II" by Usher. A good parody, but I don't really get into this style of R&B. Regardless, there are some funny confessions!

8) "Weasel Stomping Day." Done in the style of jovial Christmas songs. But, instead of predecessors like "Christmas at Ground Zero" or "The Night Santa Went Crazy," Weird Al creates a new holiday. The song is comedically graphic--I guess it is not that different from "The Night Santa Went Crazy" after all.

9) "Close But No Cigar." Another Weird Al demented love song. Funny stuff. But I feel sorry for his wife!

10) "Do I Creep You Out." A parody of "Do I Make You Proud?" by Taylor Hicks. Hey, skewering these sappy love songs is always a good thing! I can easily imagine this becoming a love anthem for me to memorize.

11) "Trapped in the Drive-Thru." A parody of "Trapped in the Closet" by R. Kelly. Again, I don't get into this style of R&B. Imagine listening to it for almost eleven minutes! The lyrics can be humorous, but they stretch on too long. Reminiscent of the length of "Albuquerque" or "Genius in France."

12) "Don't Download This Song." I'm also an 80's nostalgic buff, so I really love this song done in the style of '80s charity music. You can even download it from Al's MySpace page. Get the irony?!?

Again: Buy It!!!

Labels:

 
posted at 3:30 PM  
Comments (4)


4 Comments:
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Keith Walker said...

John,
Funny stuff. Do you know if Weird Al has an album dedicated to rock/metal parodies?

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Graham said...

Ah, but in order to enjoy "Trapped in the Drive-thru" you have to have listened to the original song. It's much funnier and you'll understand a lot of the references as well as why it's so long.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger John said...

Keith,

Weird Al's albums are not style-driven. They are based on contemporary pop music culture. However, there are a few compilation concept albums such as The Food Album and The TV Album.

For some reason, Al has not done a lot of hard rock / heavy metal parodies. Maybe because they weren't mainstream for years? Anyway, the only other parody I can think of that would fit into this genre is "Young, Dumb, and Ugly" on his Alapalooza album. It reminds me of the movie classic Spinal Tap.

Graham,

I'm sure Weird Al was faithful to the original, including its length. This always demonstrates his genius! Nevertheless, I find the musical style as a whole unenjoyable. I guess what I am saying is that he does a great job, but its not going to be one of my favorites. Maybe if I liked R&B a little more...

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Derrick Bright said...

I just got my copy in the mail today and I got my wife to listen to (and watch)it with me all the way through. It is something she will never admit to anyone, but I caught her chuckling.

I though it was great-I am more of a dork than a nerd, but completely appreciate the white and nerdy. Plus I was born in Lynnwood so I feel like he is representing. :-)
My wife did share a wish with me and that is that too bad the White and Nerdy video is not also on the DVD.

Derrick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
John

I am a former Mormon who has been saved by Jesus Christ. Now I am a missionary involved with the Africa Center for Apologetics Research (ACFAR). I seek to live in light of Paul's words: "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21 ESV)

My Complete Profile


About My Blog
  • Why I am the Reformed Baptist Thinker

  • Recent Posts
  • E-Tithing?

  • MacArthur Retrospective on the Lordship Controvers...

  • Underdog Movies

  • John MacArthur on Lordship Salvation

  • Postmodern Epistemology in Light of the Bible

  • Was C.S. Lewis an Evangelical?

  • A Funeral Sermon

  • Alistair Begg, "Power of the Cross"

  • John MacArthur on Culture

  • Weird Al's "White and Nerdy" Video


  • Reformed Links
  • The 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
  • The Association of Reformed Baptist Churches in America
  • Discerning Reader
  • Founders Ministries
  • The Gospel Coalition
  • Monergism
  • Nicene Council
  • The Reformed Baptist Theological Review
  • Reformation 21
  • The Spurgeon Archive
  • Third Millennium Ministries
  • Together for the Gospel
  • John Frame and Vern Poythress
  • Sam Waldron

  • Apologetics Links
  • Mormonism Research Ministry
  • Truth in Love Ministry
  • Centers for Apologetics Research
  • LifeWay Apologetics
  • Alpha and Omega Ministries

  • Blogroll
  • The A-Team Blog
  • Illumination
  • Mormon Coffee
  • Pros Apologian
  • Pulpit Magazine
  • Pyromaniacs
  • Reformation 21 Blog
  • Reformed Baptist Fellowship
  • Said at Southern
  • Together for the Gospel Blog
  • Tom Ascol
  • Les Bollinger
  • Denny Burk
  • Tim Challies
  • Steve Cowan
  • Jeff Downs
  • Bob Kauflin
  • Kevin Larson
  • Albert Mohler Commentary
  • Albert Mohler Blog
  • Russell Moore
  • Jonathan Moorhead
  • Matt Perry
  • David Sills
  • Justin Taylor
  • Brent Thomas
  • Joe Thorn
  • Paul Tripp
  • Keith Walker

  • Labels
  • ACFAR
  • Apologetics
  • Book Reviews
  • Christianity and Culture
  • Emerging Church and Postmodernism
  • Missions
  • Mormonism
  • Puritans
  • Theology
  • "Weird Al" Yankovic
  • Personal Life
  • Personal Ministry
  • Other Resources

  • Miscellaneous


    Subscribe to Reformed Baptist Thinker




    Archives
  • December 2005

  • January 2006

  • February 2006

  • March 2006

  • April 2006

  • May 2006

  • June 2006

  • July 2006

  • August 2006

  • September 2006

  • October 2006

  • November 2006

  • December 2006

  • January 2007

  • February 2007

  • March 2007

  • April 2007

  • May 2007

  • June 2007

  • July 2007

  • August 2007

  • September 2007

  • October 2007

  • November 2007

  • December 2007

  • March 2008

  • Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Image from:
    istockphoto

    Meter: